Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekend Recipe: Coca-Cola BBQ

I decided to dust off the crock pot and give her a whirl before she gets packed up for the big move!  A recipe that calls for a can of Coca-Cola, barbecue sauce, AND is easy...what's not to love about this!

So, first let me tell you how things go around here.  The Mister walked thru the kitchen while I was getting started and was the perfect gentleman to stop and ask if I'd like him to open the bottle of barbecue sauce for me.  How sweet, right?  Well, the Mister somehow unscrewed the cap and THEN decided to go the extra mile and shake the bottle for me.  Yup...he shook it *without* the cap on.  Thank goodness our current kitchen has undestructible Absolute Black granite counter tops.  I'm not so sure how our white marble in the new kitchen would have stood up to this mess!  Bless his heart.  Back to the recipe...

Slow Cooker Barbecue Pork
Southern Living Magazine
October 2010


INGREDIENTS
  • 1 (3 to 4 lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston butt), trimmed
  • 1 (18 oz.) bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
  • 1 (12 oz.) can Coca-Cola

DIRECTIONS
1. Place roast in a lightly greased 6 quart slow cooker.  Pour barbecue sauce and coca-cola over roast.  Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.

2. Transfer pork to a cutting board; shred with two forks, removing any large pieces of fat. Skim fat from sauce, then stir shredded pork back into sauce.


Notes from Moi
The barbecue sauce I used was none other than the legendary Carey Hilliard's original from Savannah!  It's the perfect mix of not-quite vinagar based, not-quite mustard based.  (It's only sold in the restaurant, so I regularly get bottles imported from Savannah by DaddyO.)  Although the sauce was stellar, this meal gets mixed reviews from us.  I thought it was better served over cheese grits than it was just on a bun.  You just can't get that authentic smokey, slow cooked flavor from a crock pot.  Shocking, right!

If yall have a good crock pot bbq recipe I should try, please let me know!
xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...